This month’s Meal of the Month (meal for 4 for about $10) is brought to us by Jen McBeath. Her husband Matt is on our Board of Directors, and he’s the first to chime in about how brilliant his wife is in the kitchen, so I was looking forward to receiving her recipe. She did not disappoint!
This is our first meat-based Meal of the Month, and what a perfect season for an easy BBQ recipe that everyone will love (well, all the omnivores out there at least)! A little prep needs to be done in the kitchen, but after that head outside and enjoy the weather.
BBQ Fajitas with Corn Salsa
1/2 # Fajita meat
1 red pepper, cut into long, even strips
1 yellow zucchini, cut into long, even strips
1 small Walla Walla sweet onion, cut into long, even strips
2 ears of corn, silk removed
1 package Corn Tortillas
1 T Mexican Seasoning
1 Avocado, diced
1/4 c oil (canola or olive)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place veggies, meat, oil, and Mexican seasoning in zip-top bag—massage spices into ingredients and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
2. Heat up grill or coals. Once it is hot, place corn on the grill, turning every 5 minutes for a total cooking time of 15—20 minutes.
3. Allow corn to cool then cut the kernels off the cob into a bowl.
4. Put diced avocado in with the corn and squeeze half the lime on the mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently.
5. Grill meat and veggies 3-5 minutes on each side. Heat the tortillas directly on the grill for about 30 seconds on each side.
6. Build your fajita: tortilla, meat and veggies, and corn/avocado salsa. Squeeze on a little extra lime juice from unused half.
7. Serve with a deli salad or green garden salad with lime vinaigrette.